Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dark Shadows - WGHP 1966





Wikipedia and other sites on the web have information stating that WGHP channel 8 in High Point never broadcast Dark Shadows as part of their schedule. That information is false.There were many of the ABC network shows that WGHP moved to different timeslots to accomadate their local programming.Dark Shadows was just one of those. The clipping you see here is from Dec.27,1966. Look at the 10:00 a.m. slot for the Nurses on channel 8. The Nurses was also moved from the afternoon schedule. On other ABC affiliates the Nurses aired in the afternoon prior to Dark Shadows.



5 comments:

bwfan414 said...

Wikipedia's information is not always accurate so it's no surprise they messed up on this as well. They should do their research and get their facts straight.

Carroll Hall said...

I agree.Too often I see things on message boards like,"I heard" or "I read" or "someone told me".It seems that in a majority of these cases that the information is being provided by folks who never actually witnessed what is being discussed.Too bad.Anything published on the internet is going to become a part of recorded history.

Eric said...

Definitely agree that "never" is a strong word, but it looks like 8 did drop the show sometime before 1970. I've got a December 7, 1968 TVG in front of me which shows that by then the 9am slot had been given over to more movies. The most generous appraisal is that an anonymous wiki-gnome did some research, but not all of it...and on Wikipedia, that goes around as often as just making things up.

Carroll W Hall said...

You are right Eric.I don't believe channel eight carried the show except during it's first year.

William K. Lasley said...

In the early 1970s I remember watching the later color episodes of Dark Shadows in Burlington. Reception was usually better from the Triad stations than those from the Triangle, so I've always assumed I had seen Dark Shadows on a Triad channel. If it was an ABC show, I doubt I saw it on the Triangle affiliate, but it is within the realm of possibility. We usually pulled in WGHP for ABC.